Quick note: this soda is fermented. And fermented drinks do contain a small percentage of alcohol and the longer you let them ferment, the higher the percentage.
- Gather a bunch of Sweet Cicely flowers (8-10 heads should do)
- 1.5 lbs of sugar
- 1 gallon of cold filtered water
- 1 lemon, juice plus skin cut into chunks after removing the pith
- 3T white wine vinegar
- Dissolve the sugar in about two cups of warm water, let it cool, then mix all ingredients together in a big container. Cover it and leave it somewhere dark and a bit cool for 4 days. If it gets too hot, the lemon might mold. If you see that happening, just skim it off.
- After four days, strain and pour the liquid into bottles. Glass bottles look nicer but plastic is safer just in case your soda gets too fizzy. In any case, unscrew the lids every couple days to let off some pressure.
- Keep them at room temperature for 4-10 days, checking their taste along the way.
- Once it’s to your liking, you can pop it in the fridge to slow down the fermentation process. This refreshing beverage is a delight on its own and has an anise-y flavor with a little extra sweetness.
- Add a lemon slice and some ice, or why not some gin too?