Makes one pint of ice cream.
- 1-2 cups fresh, chopped sweet cicely leaves, stems, and seed-pods, and optional roots
- 2 cups whole milk or non-dairy milk of your choice (ideally something fatty like coconut or hemp)
- 1/2 - 1 cup honey, sugar, or maple syrup (use more or less sweetener to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups heavy cream or more whole milk
- In a medium saucepan, combine the fresh sweet cicely and 2 cups of whole milk. Bring the mixture to barely a simmer and then remove from heat. Allow to steep covered for 20 minutes.
- Strain the milk into a large jar or mixing bowl — it should be a lovely shade of green, much like green tea ice cream! (You can now discard the sweet cicely.)
- Stir in the sweetener of your choice into the infused milk until it’s dissolved, along with the vanilla extract. At this point, let it chill in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Once it’s nice and cool, stir in two more cups of cream or milk. Use this mixture according to the directions of your ice cream maker to make a lovely green, anise-sweet ice cream.
Note: Can be served alone or with angel-food cake.